Re: x86, ARM, PARISC, PPC, MIPS and Sparc folks please run this

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 08:11:18 EST

Hi!

> > > x86 gives you coherency and store ordering (barring errata and special
> > > CPU modes)
> >
> > Special CPU modes? You mean some special SSE stores?
>
> Take a look at arch/i386/kernel/cpu/centaur.c, and CONFIG_X86_OOSTORE.
>
> You can change the memory settings to weakly ordered writes, which
> means that a plain write isn't suitable for spin_unlock. Presumably
> this mode is faster (though I don't see why, if Intel, AMD et al. can
> manage good memory performance without weak writes).

Wow, seems interesting, how much performance does it buy? [Maybe AMD
and Intel just threw a lot of silicon at the problem and it went
away. Centaur solution might be nicer, through -- spin_unlock is so
uncommon that this seems like nice optimalization.]

--
Horseback riding is like software...
...vgf orggre jura vgf serr.