Re: [2.4 patch] fix CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT

From: Peter Daum
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 16:02:38 EST

Hi,

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Peter Daum reported in the "2.4.22 with CONFIG_M686: networking broken"
> thread some problems when using a kernel with CONFIG_M686 on a
> Pentium 4.

... actually, the problems also occurred when running on machines
with Pentium II/Pentium Pro CPUs - even on these machines, I only
could use kernels compiled with "CONFIG_MPENTIUM4".

Adrian's patch does fix these problems. What is amazing, is that
in kernel version 2.4.20, the same values were used for
"CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT". The problems that I described,
however, occur only with 2.4.22 - the same machines with the same
configuration work just fine with 2.4.20. Maybe, there's
something else involved, too?

Regards,
Peter