Re: [ANNOUNCE] New hardware - SGA155D dual STM-1/OC3 PCI ad

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 09:58:46 EST

On Maw, 2003-09-09 at 15:27, Horvath Gyorgy wrote:
> As I see - SGA155D is a multifunction adapter in this context.
> Are there any driver model or technique for this situation?
> My guess is that I write a core driver for the hardware itself
> that can be compiled in the kernel (or can be modularized).
> This driver allows manipulating the IP-Core for the FPGA.
> Functional drivers are then modularized on demand.

That is probably the right model. We do something similar with dual
function parallel/serial cards and of course on a huge scale with USB
where a USB hub means loading many other drivers to use the devices
attached to it.

> BTW Can I insmod other drivers from a kernel driver?

Yes. request_module() and the hotplug interface let you do that in
various kernels. Right now for example the USB layer goes back to the
userspace /sbin/hotplug and says "I need a driver for one of these" and
the hotplug layer figures out what to do.

> 2. Packet over SONET...
> Is syncppp conforming RFC1619, RFC1662, RFC2615?
> I can't find notes on this in syncppp.c...

Syncppp is pretty basic and obsoleted by the hdlc driver stuff.

> 3. The telephony part is not yet clear for me.
> For the new application in question - there is not much to do
> in Linux, since the mass will be driven/sunk by the
> hard-disks. But it might be useful elsewhere...
> Anyway - I will dig-up the Linux telephony project for advice
> before bothering this list.

Take a look at the Zaptel stuff, thats basically the T1 version of a
winmodem but might have some interesting ideas in it.

> 4. Optionally - and if I have enough time - I'd like
> to develop a twin-linear filesystem driver for
> time-stamped capture/playback for multiple channels
> of data - like a multi-band magnetic tape.
> BTW do you know an existing one?

I've seen people do this in user space (just interleaving the disk in
big chunks in the app and driving it with O_DIRECT raw access) but not
in kernel file system space.

Alan