Re: MSI fix for buggy PCI/PCI-X hardware

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 13:42:25 EST

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 08:39:37AM -0700, long wrote:
> The proposed solution is to provide a new API, named "int
> disable_msi(struct pci_dev *dev)", to allow IHV's who have
> shipped PCI/PCI-X hardware that does not work in MSI mode to update
> their software drivers to request the kernel to switch the
> interrupt mode from MSI mode back to IRQ pin-assertion mode.

No need for a new API. We have drivers/pci/quirk.c where we add PCI
devices with known bugs. If there is commonality of the bugs across
hardware, we can easily add a common "quirk" which fixes the situation.

Individual drivers shouldn't need to bother with this, really.

As an aside, if you need to blacklist certain _systems_ rather than
certain PCI devices, you should either modify drivers/pci/quirks.c or
arch/i386/kernel/dmi_scan.c.

Jeff