Re: Timer Interrupts, please CC hamilton@sedsystems.ca

From: George Anzinger
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 17:43:29 EST

Kendrick Hamilton wrote:
Hello,
Please send/cc responses to hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
We are using a custom modulator card with the Linux 2.2.16 kernel running on an IBM e-server (dual 2.8GHz, a lot of RAM). The modulator card uses interrupts to send data (the card has a large FIFO and interrupts when almost empty). The interrupt service routine re-fills the fifo. While it is re-filling the FIFO interrupts are disabled. We are noticing horrible clock skew.
Can you tell me the frequency of timer interrupts used by the linux 2.2.16 kernel on Intel x86 SMP platform. I want to know how long my interrupt service routine can leave the interrupt disabled.

Two VERY different questions IMNSHO. :)

The normal tick time for the x86 platform on 2.4.x kernels was/is 10ms. The interrupt latency, on the other hand, is usually well under 1ms. Shame to see that go up.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx