Re: Efficient IPC mechanism on Linux

From: Luca Veraldi
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 05:17:37 EST

> This test is sort of the worst case against my argument:
> 1) It's a cpu with low memory bandwidth
> 2) It's a 1 CPU system
> 3) It's a pII not pIV; the pII is way more efficient cycle wise
> for pagetable operations

I'm a Compuer Science graduate. And at least one single thing I've learned
in my studies.
More efficient Firmware support
(such as an extremely wide memory bandwith
or tens of CPUs in an SMP/NUMA
or efficient cache line transfer support)

DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO WASTE CYCLES IN DOING USELESS THINGS,
such as TWO physical copies of a message if a process want to cooperate with
another one.

We are not engineer that simply have to let the things work.

That's all.
Luca.