Re: Efficient IPC mechanism on Linux

From: Stewart Smith
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 09:28:04 EST

hrm, you may find things related to the Password-Capability system and
the Walnut kernel of interest - these systems take this kind of IPC to
the extreme :) (ahhh... research OS hw & sw - except you *do not* want
to see the walnut source - it makes ppl want to crawl up and cry).

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~rdp/fetch/castro-thesis.ps

and check the Readme.txt at
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/courseware/cse4333/rdp-ma terial/
for stuff on Multi and password-capabilities.

interesting stuff, the Castro thesis does do some comparisons to FreeBSD
(1.1 amazingly enough) - although the number of real world applications
on these systems is minimal (and in the current state impossible -
nobody can remember how to get userspace going on Walnut, we may have
broken it) and so real-world comparisons just don't really happen these
days. Maybe after a rewrite (removing some brain-damage of the original
design).

This is all related to my honors work,
http://www.flamingspork.com/honors/
although my site needs an update.
I'm working on the design and simulation of an improved storage system.