Re: [RFC] add kobject to struct module

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 21:46:40 EST

In message <20030911000429.GF1461@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 04:45:38PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > To quote from include/linux/moduleparam.h:
> > /* This is the fundamental function for registering boot/module
> > parameters. perm sets the visibility in driverfs: 000 means it's
> > not there, read bits mean it's readable, write bits mean it's
> > writable. */
>
> Any chance to make it always visible and read-only by default with the
> option of making it writable?

Nope. The author specifies exactly what they want, no default. It's
just safer this way: see RMK's concerns about what would happen if we
did it to unsuspecting module authors...

See include/linux/moduleparam.h, especially the module_param() macro.

> Any chance the parameter defaults (if they're not hard coded...) could be
> exposed even if they're not given to the module on the command line? (wish
> list...)

They should be there. It would be nice to have some way of telling
which ones were modified, so that a userspace util could save just
those ones on shutdown, for example. I can't think of an obvious way
of doing this though (mtime > epoch maybe?).

Cheers,
Rusty.