Re: Power Management Update

From: CaT
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 01:07:03 EST

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 05:38:53PM -0700, Patrick Mochel wrote:
> A patch against 2.6.0-test5 can be found at
>
> http://developer.osdl.org/~mochel/patches/test5-pm1/test5-pm1.diff.bz2
>
> The patches for each individual changeset can be found in that directory.

Here's my experience with the patch for the various suspend levels (all
activated through /sys/power/state). It looks like there are problems
activating the resume code.

standby:

never turns off screen. just seems to hang after hwsleep-0257. power light
flashes. hitting power button causes power light to stop flashing but no
resume happens. system is hung and powercycle req.

serial console output:

Stopping tasks: ===================================|
hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
hda: completing PM request, suspend
PM: Entering state.
hwsleep-0257 [15] acpi_enter_sleep_state: Entering sleep state [S1]

mem:

does stopping tasks and laptop powers down. power light flashes as if in
suspend.

serial console output:

Stopping tasks: =================================|

hand typed continued console out:

hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
hda: completing PM request, suspend
PM: Entering state.
hwsleep-0257 [15] acpi_enter_sleep_state: Entering sleep state [S3]

On resume it is as for standby.

disk (firmware):
activates h/w suspend just fine. bios appears to resume properly (all progress
meters hit 100%) but it never seems to pass control back to the OS (or, at
least, the OS never completes the resume as per above situations)

serial console output:

Freeing memory: ....................|
hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
hda: completing PM request, suspend
PM: Attempting to suspend to disk.

--
"How can I not love the Americans? They helped me with a flat tire the
other day," he said.