Re: nasm over gas?

From: Ricardo Bugalho
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 06:09:52 EST

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:34:57 +0300, insecure wrote:

> That instruction is in main() initialization sequence. I.e. it is
> executed once per program invocation. Summary: we lost 8 bytes for no
> gain. There's not even a speed gain - we lost 8 bytes of _icache_, that
> will bite us somewhere else.

You're quite right, but the I-Cache is a non issue: this code will be
evicted when there is need to put something else. And because its only run
once at the beginning of the program, it won't cause anything important to
be evicted. You can complain about the time it gets to fetch the code from
RAM though.

Quoting another post from you: "I do _not_ advocate using asm anywhere
except speed critical code."
This code is obviously not critical. So, it makes a bad choice for
discussion.

--
Ricardo