Re: ide-scsi oops was: 2.6.0-test4-mm3

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 10:31:24 EST

On Iau, 2003-09-11 at 09:20, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > need it. Is it unfixable? or just nobody's done it?
>
> It's not unfixable, there's just not a lot of motivation to fix it since
> it's basically dead.

Almost all IDE tape drives require ide-scsi/st modules for one. I'm not
sure of the problems in the 2.5 case, in the 2.4 case the big one was
that both IDE and SCSI want to control reset/recovery and reissue of
commands. That turns into a nasty mess and 2.4 now lets the IDE layer do
it, with SCSI just backing off. That may well be the right model for
2.5.x - ie the reset eh handler just waits for the IDE layer to kill the
command. The other one was races in the reset code which 2.4 I think now
has fixed, which will bite non scsi users but less often