Re: Problem: IDE data corruption with VIA chipsetson2.4.20-19.8+others

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 13:48:04 EST

On Iau, 2003-09-11 at 19:20, Eric Bickle wrote:
> > > kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > > kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
> LBAsect=150637065,
> > > sector=150636992
> >
> > This is a physical failure from the hard disk *NOT* a Linux problem
>
> That's exactially what I thought when I first saw the problem as well.
>
> However, we had about 16-20 different drives show up with the problem, about
> 3 different brands too. I did some low-level tests on the drives that linux
> had an error on and none of my diagnostic tools could find any problems.
>
> Any ideas?

Other than to tell you Linux is simply reporting back what the drive
itself reported - which is a physical failure to recover a sector of
data no.

A test that rewrites such a sector will generally clear the error, its
one of the problems of some diagnostic tools. A pure read test should
fine the error again unless its something like overheat causing the
problem. SMART data will tell you drive temperatures