Large-file corruption. ReiserFS? VFS?

From: Kyle Rose
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 15:32:02 EST

I ran mkisofs (2.01a16) this morning on a 2.6.0-test4 machine with the
target on a 60GB ReiserFS partition. The resulting file was to be
just over 4GB (around 4,360,000,000 bytes), and during most of the
course of writing the file, a small prefix looked as it should through
a hexdump: that is, just part of the iso9660 directory.

However, just as the write completed, the beginning of the file became
corrupted. I considered a 4GB problem to be likely, and re-tested
with fewer source files such that the result would be smaller than
4GB; lo and behold, no corruption. The same result occurs whether
mkisofs is given the -o flag, or output is redirected to a file from
stdout using the shell's redirection facility, suggesting the problem
is probably at the kernel level.

I don't have a large enough ext2/3 filesystem to compare with, so
there's no easy way for me to tell whether this is a Reiser-only
problem or not. Can anyone confirm that they see the same problem, or
whether they see a similar problem on another file system? Please
feel free to ask me for any other information you think might be
illuminating.

Cheers,
Kyle