Re: horrible usb keyboard bug with latest tests

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 16:39:10 EST

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 03:46:08PM +0200, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:57:44AM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:
> > Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
> > annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
> > just when you start putting some input, all the
> > keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
> > that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
> > button)
> >
> > sometimes one key would stick, like
> > kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
>
> For me too, even with a normal keyboard attached to the PS/2 keyboard port.
> In my case it's very rare, and not a 'constant stick' but short 'pulse' of
> the same character like displaying 'kkkkkkkkk' in my terminal even if I'm
> sure that I didn't forget my finger on the key. OK, it's not a showstopper
> bug, but sometimes annoying. It's 2.6.0-test3 (vanilla).

Yes, I see this too, but very infrequently.

For the 2.6 kernels key repeat is not taken from the keyboard but is
done via a kernel timer, and clearly the code is not quite correct.
I have not yet been able to detect it before I already
had hit the next key but maybe somebody else can answer:

When does this repeat stop?
Does it stop because the next key has been hit?

And: does it occur more often when the machine has high load?

Andries