Re: [patch] 2.6.0-test5: serio config broken?

From: Tom Rini
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 09:53:11 EST

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:09:02PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 04:04:48PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> >
> > Okay. The following Kconfig illustrates what I claim to be a bug.
> > config A
> > bool "This is A"
> > select B
> >
> > config B
> > bool "This is B"
> > # Or, depends C=y
> > depends C
> >
> > config C
> > bool "This is C"
> >

> > Running oldconfig will give:
> > This is A (A) [N/y] (NEW) y
> > This is C (C) [N/y] (NEW) n
> > And in .config:
> > CONFIG_A=y
> > CONFIG_B=y
> > # CONFIG_C is not set
> >
> > I claim that this should in fact be:
> > CONFIG_A=y
> > CONFIG_B=y
> > CONFIG_C=y
>
> The problem is that select ignores dependencies.

Yeap.

> Unfortunately, your proposal wouldn't work easily, consider e.g.

I'm not really claiming a proposal, just that if B needs C=y, then C
should C=y. I didn't say this would be an easy prolem, either :)

> config A
> bool "This is A"
> select B
>
> config B
> bool
> depends C || D
>
> config C
> bool "This is C"
> depends D=n
>
> config D
> bool "This is D"
>

> Do you want C or D to be selected?

With 'oldconfig' / 'config', you could loop until the user selects one
of them. Or, default to the first in the or series that can be
selected.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/