Re: Hyperthreading: easiest userland method?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 10:13:08 EST

Dan Behman wrote:
Hi,

I have a need to programmatically determine whether or not hyperthreading
is enabled (and in use) for licensing reasons in my application.
Currently, I know of two ways to do this:

From scouring the archives and the net, it doesn't seem like there's any
API that currently exists, but perhaps I've missed something.
/proc/cpuinfo gathers its information from somewhere - is there a way in
userland to bypass /proc/cpuinfo and directly get this data manually?

You could probably load a kernel module to check this stuff.

For 2.4, in arch/i386/kernel/setup.c, look for the code that checks for X86_FEATURE_HT. You should be able to just copy that logic into a kernel module and export the result via /proc.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557