Re: Nick's scheduler policy v15

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 13:09:16 EST

On Thursday 11 September 2003 10:34 am, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Hi,
> http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v15/
>
> This was going to get high res timers, but instead fixed a bug that might
> be causing a few people oopses. Also very small interactivity tweaks.
>
> I'm starting to work on SMP and NUMA ideas now, so if any interactivity
> things are bothering you, please tell me soon. I should be getting access
> to a 32-way NUMA soon, so I'm sort of holding off chaning too much until
> then.
>
> Enjoy.

The only odd behaviour I see with v15 (and also with v10) is that X
occasionally terminates when I unlock the screen. Haven't run pure test[45]
enough to say for sure that it doesn't happen there. Load was setiathome,
kernel make -j3, calculate PI to 20k places. System was responsive and
pleasant to use before I locked it, when I came back X died, system was still
stable.

RH 7.3 base, 2.6.0-test5+nick15, PII-350, 96MB, KDE

Next week I'll run pure test5 for a day and see what happens. I'll also get
some actual numbers on responsiveness (I think). After stability test I'll
run test5-mm1 (or latest) and look for the X oddity. So far Nick-v15 seems to
do a better job than test5-mm1, I don't have a sound card the system will use
at the moment.

--
Bill Davidsen
machine name and IP do not reflect reality, stealth in progress