2.6.0-test5 _IOR/_IOW changes are breaking userspace

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 13:25:16 EST

Sorry to bring up this discussion again, but the situation is getting worse. Previously, it was only apps that needed to issue sysctls that would break with the new kernel headers.

As of 2.6.0-test5, many apps that issue ioctls can no longer be compiled using the kernel headers that they have always used. So far this morning I have found three parts of util-linux-2.12, and at least one in mdadm-1.3.0. As I continue my build I suspect device-mapper, xfsprogs, mt-st and others will also have failures. The worst part is that the changes required to get the apps to compile are incompatible with all previous kernel headers.

As things get closer to 2.6.0 (for real), this is going to become a larger and larger problem. Without a set of userspace-compatible kernel headers available (and it sounds like the project to do that for real is 2.7 material), userspace applications have to be compiled against older "sanitized" headers that may not include new kernel features at all.

In the particular case of the ioctls used by util-linux and mdadm, using the RedHat "sanitized" headers would not be a problem. However, I want to compile device-mappper using its new version 4 ioctls, which I suspect are not included in the sanitized headers because they are not in 2.4 at all. I also need my kernel header package to include XFS headers, and they are not a standard part of 2.4 either.