Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] better i386 CPU selection

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 15:13:05 EST

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:04:35 +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 08:28:16AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > - Does the Cyrix III support 686 instructions?
>
>Depends on your definition of 686. If you follow the Intel
>definition (where CMOV is optional), yes. If you follow the gcc
>definition (where CMOV is assumed), no.
>Except for the latest Nehemiah cores (which now have CMOV).

To be fair to gcc, no Intel P6 or above to date has shipped
without CMOV.

> > - Do -march=winchip{2,-c6} and -march=c3{,-2} add anything not in
> > -march=i686 (except optimizations of otherwise compatible code)?
>
>Not afaik.
>
> > - Which CPUs exactly need X86_ALIGNMENT_16?
>
>Unsure. This could use testing on a few systems.

K7s and P5s (and 486s too if I remember correctly) strongly prefer
code entry points and loop labels to be 16-byte aligned. This is
due to the way code is fetched from L1.

> > - X86_GOOD_APIC: Are there really that many processors with a bad APIC?
>
>Mikael ?

Most pre-MMX P5s have a bug which breaks back-to-back writes to
the local APIC space (P5 erratum 11AP), requiring the kernel to
insert a dummy read before each local APIC write. GOOD_APIC is
for P5MMX and above which don't have this bug.

I have a P5 chip with this erratum I sometimes use for testing
(since it's pre-MMX and thus pre-RDPMC), and I know of people
still using dual P5 boxes with these early chips.

/Mikael