Re: Omnibook PCMCIA slots unusable after suspend.

From: Jon Fairbairn
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 11:53:45 EST

[please cc me as not subscribed]
On 2003-09-11 at 23:18+0200 Martin Diehl wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Russell King wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:22:32PM +0100, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> > > In short: I'm using an HP Ombibook 800CT, have started using
> > > a Carbus PCMCIA network card and am losing the card after
> > > suspends.
>
> I had a similar problem with my OB800. It turned out the
> problem is the BIOS maps the yenta memory window into
> legacy address range below 1MB.

This appears to be the correct diagnosis. I applied your
patch to 2.4.22 and the Omnibook now correctly restarts the
network after a suspend. Vielen dank!

What's the status of a patch like this? It's obviously of
use to more than one person, and it took me a great deal of
time to find you and your solution -- I suspect fainter
hearted folk might just have given up and said "Linux
doesn't work with this combination of hardware" which would
have been a shame.

I haven't tried it with 2.6 yet; I don't normally get into
test kernels, but I might try out of curiosity. I'll post
the result if anyone indicates that it's a worthwhile thing
to do.

> Yep, this is what happens fo me in the sitation above. And
> the next time one inserts/ejects any card the box dies in
> interrupt storm because the irq cannot be acknoledged.

I think I got that too, at least, reinserting the card caused
a lockup. With the patch applied I can eject and reinsert,
which is fortunate because there seems to be another problem
where the card switches off when I switch VCs, but it's hard
to reproduce. (and inconvenient because /usr is on nfs on
this machine)

Thanks again,

Jón

--