Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] better i386 CPU selection

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 17:07:58 EST

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 02:53:19PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > Echo 2 lines above. People do use 386 kernels for install kernels
> > on distros. Removing errata workarounds means distros start randomly
> > exploding during installs.
>
> You're not understanding the model. I understand your comment about
> using 386 kernels for install kernels. If Adrian's patch is done
> right, _absolutely nothing should change_ in your described scenario.
>
> Distros would continue doing what they've always done, and would
> continue to get the behavior they have always gotten.

I'm not sure whether you understand my intention.

Nothing will change, except that if you want to support all CPUs, you
have to select all CPUs instead of 386.

My main intention is to get a clear user interface (user = person
compiling the kernel) that suits everyone's needs and to put all the
logic what to do when you plan to support several different CPUs into
the kernel.

I don't like the current user interface that says "if you want to
support both an Athlon and a Pentium 4 in your kernel use the Pentium III
option. And for better optimization, also check the "generic" option".

> Jeff

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.