Re: [RFC] Enabling other oom schemes

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 00:30:32 EST

Robert Love wrote:
On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 13:48, Jamie Lokier wrote:

Also, when the OOM condition is triggered I'd like the system to
reboot, but first try for a short while to unmount filesystems cleanly.

Any chance of those things?

<snip>

I do like all of this, however, and want to see some different OOM
killers.

One thing that we've done, and that others may find useful, is to allow processes to become immune to the oom-killer as long as they stay under a certain amount of memory allocated.

We added a syscall that specifies a certain number of pages of memory. As long as the process' memory utilization remains under that amount, the oom-killer will not kill it.

In our case we are on a mostly-embedded system, and have a pretty good idea what will be running. This lets us engineer the critical apps to be immune, while still allowing memory to be freed up by killing non-critical applications.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557