Re: 2.7 block ramblings (was Re: DMA for ide-scsi?)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 12:31:24 EST

Andries Brouwer wrote:
Such things are infinitely difficult.
Moreover, great care is needed - one has to define precisely what it
is this GUID is supposed to be an ID of.

Absolutely agreed.

(Is it the ZIP drive? Or is it the ZIP disk?
The 2.4 USB code is broken because it remembers a GUID and thinks that
identical GUID implies identical disk.)

I have a handful of CF/SM cardreaders.
Some of them have no form of ID. Others have an ID.

Then one can insert a CF or SM card into the reader.
Some of these cards have an ID. Some have not.

On the card one usually finds a FAT filesystem.
There may be a label. Or there may not be.

This describes a 3-level situation.
I have also 4-level situations, where the reader is filled with
one of four auxiliary adapters (each with an own ID) and the
adapter then get a CF/SM/SD/... card.

Using an adapter's ID would be a mistake. You want to use the media's unique ID, assuming it has one.

So, yes, we love IDs. And we can always provide them ourselves
as label or UUID or so in the filesystem.

Not all filesystems have them :)

Further, some sites may prefer block-level GUIDs to fs-level ones. Sites using raw partitions instead of filesystems, for one.

We must leave this up to the sysadmin -- within the bounds of technology of course. The sysadmin is out of luck if they purchase a media that does not support some sort of labelling or UUID.

But finding an unformatted unlabeled disk is difficult.

You sound like you're agreeing with me ;-)

Jeff