Vaio doesn't poweroff with 2.4.22

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 01:47:51 EST

Hi,

With 2.4.22, my Sony Vaio PCG-Z600TEK (s/600/505/ in US/JP) shows a regression
w.r.t. power management:
- It doesn't poweroff anymore (screen contents are still there after the
powering down message)
- It doesn't reboot anymore (screen goes black, though)
- It accidentally suspended to RAM once while I was actively working on it (I
never managed to get suspend working, except for this `accident'). I didn't
see any messages about this in the kernel log.

Relevant config options for 2.4.22:
| tux$ grep acpi .config
| # ACPI Support
| CONFIG_ACPI=y
| # CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is not set
| CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
| # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
| # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
| CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
| # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
| tux$

Relevant config options for 2.4.21, which does poweroff/reboot without
problems:
| tux$ grep acpi .config
| # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
| CONFIG_ACPI=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUSMGR=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_SYS=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_CPU=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_CMBATT=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
| tux$

If you need more information or want me to ttry something, please ask!

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds