Re: Developing Kernel Code newbie

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 08:58:56 EST

On Llu, 2003-09-15 at 10:49, Daniel Drake wrote:
> I'm in a similar situation here.. a C/C++ beginner, very keen to work on
> the Linux kernel.
> Those two books you mentioned, the latest editions cover the 2.4 series
> kernel. Would reading these still be useful for working on the 2.6 (and
> onwards) kernels?

The kernel is cool, but it is a large piece of code with a lot of ideas
in it that some folks find challenging (interrupts, multiprocessing,
threads and locking) [One thing to be said at least the Java taught
university folks understand some of this unlike those they used to feed
pascal]

Have fun but if you find the kernel daunting and hard work, don't give
up but pick up something smaller, easier to understand and use a
debugger on - like desktop applications, then come back and try the
kernel again later.