Re: Oops on 2.4.22 when mounting from broken NFS server

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:02:35 EST

> I expect the NFS client to behave sensibly in the face of all
> possible server errors, including the possibility of a hostile
> NFS server.

No can do... There are 100s of scenarios where the server can screw
the client by giving it bogus information. You might possibly be able
to protect against a few of them, but at a heavy price in the form of
code bloat.
Neither NFSv2 nor NFSv3 are protocols that were designed to operate
safely in a hostile environment. They were designed for LANs where
servers and clients trust one another.

I agree that we shouldn't Oops though.

>> BTW: that Oops you posted looked very much like a memory
>> corruption problem. Were you running vanilla 2.4.22 on the
>> client, or was it too patched?

> It was also patched. I will try and reproduce the error with
> an unpatched kernel and a tcpdump running.

Please do...

Cheers,
Trond