exporting register_chrdev_region and friends?

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 17:29:26 EST

I've been playing with the registration of char devices in the brave, new,
big dev_t world, and that means looking at register_chrdev_region() and the
cdev_ functions. But, it seems, these functions are not exported to
modules. That's easily fixed, but I was wondering: is this omission
deliberate? Should modules be able to use those functions to access larger
device numbers, or is there some other interface envisioned that modules
should be using?

Thanks,

jon

Jonathan Corbet