Re: Make modules_install doesn't create /lib/modules/$version

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 11:13:10 EST

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 11:10, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> Martin Schlemmer writes:
> > On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 04:25, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > > In message <20030918091511.276309a6.rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> you write:

> > > Looks like arch/i386/boot/install.sh is calling ~/bin/installkernel or
> > > /sbin/installkernel, which is not creating the directory.
> > >
> > > Should depmod create the directory? It can, of course, but AFAICT the
> > > old one didn't.
> > >
> > > Maybe a RedHat issue?
> > >

> > Likely, it works fine here with the one we are using
> > from debianutils.
>
> So how come it's never been a problem on my RH boxes?
> (Currently RH9 + module-init-tools but none of Arjan's .rpms)
>
> I basically do
> make bzImage modules |& tee /tmp/log
> grep Warning /tmp/log
> su
> make modules_install
> make install
>
> Creating the /lib/modules/<version> directory is the kernel's
> job, not installkernel (it's never done that before).

Yes, OK, so I have not checked =) I just reacted on if
installkernel form non RH misbehave or not.

So what have you tried up to now ? Does there even
exist a /lib/modules/2.6.0-test5 ? If so, is it an file/something
else ? What happens if you create it manually beforehand ?

Else have a look at scripts/Makefile.modinst and maybe add
a few @echo's. I have not looked that closely at the build
system yet.

--
Martin Schlemmer