Re: BUG at mm/memory.c:1501 in 2.6.0-test5

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 20:42:32 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

On 18 Sep 03 at 13:43, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 10:27:58PM +0200, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

EIP: 0060:[<c015be10>] Tainted: PF

snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "Tainted: %c%c%c",
tainted & TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE ? 'P' : 'G',
tainted & TAINT_FORCED_MODULE ? 'F' : ' ',
tainted & TAINT_UNSAFE_SMP ? 'S' : ' ');

This is probably the reason you're not getting much in the way of a
response.

I explicitly stated that it happened shortly after I shut down VMware UI,
and that I spent whole day trying to find what's going on, finally
politely asking for help, hoping that someone could have a clue
what went wrong.
Petr Vandrovec

Okay. I'll be more specific. The "Tainted PF" shown above is
because you have installed a module that is [P]roprietary and
it was [F]orced to load.

Any module running inside the kernel can destroy anything.
There is no protection inside the kernel. A simple bug in any
module can not only cause your machine to die, but it can, in
principle, destroy everything on your hard disk as well as
shutting down your LAN, causing millions of dollars of
damages (seriously). It is possible.

Therefore, If you report a bug, and your system is tainted
with a proprietary module, nobody can help you because the

You should send your report to the vendor. They might not be supporting
2.6 yet though. Alternatively, try to reproduce the problem having never
loaded closed source modules since booting: it is now much less
frustrating for developers to track down and fix.