Re: Fix for wrong OOM killer trigger?

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 23:31:14 EST

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 05:31:53AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> If I would remotely think my signature is rude with you, or anybody
> else, I wouldn't post it anymore, especially after you point me to it.
> [etc]

The problem is that you are saying that closed source is bad, in
particular, that BitKeeper is bad. That's not the problem, lots of
people think that closed source is bad, but in the same breath you
promote some free gateways PAID FOR BY BITKEEPER and requested by you.
That's hypocritical in the extreme.

Let me clue you in. The economy sucks. Nobody except Microsoft is
getting rich in this economy. Everyone is looking to cut costs and we
are too. It costs us money to provide those gateways. I write checks
every month to keep them going. As a corporation we derive zero benefit
from providing those gateways. They are there because you asked for them
and I thought the deal was that you would stop whining once you got them.
If that's the deal, then stop whining. If that's not the deal, ok,
I guess I misunderstood, but I can save some money and shut them down.

Then your signature can read:

/*
* We used to be able to depend on the following license free gateways
* but I was deliberately rude to the people providing them so they went
* away:
*
* rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
* :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/home/cvs/linux-2.[45]/
* svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk
*/

Sooner or later, I expect the more reasonable people out there to explain
to you that your actions are hurting them and maybe they'll help you
decide which is more important, getting at the data you want, in a timely
manner, without a license, or doing negative advertising against us.
If the other folks don't care enough to do that then that's fine, the
gateways are not important and you can whine all you want but you'll be
back to waiting for tarball releases and we can save some money.
--
---