Re: Fix for wrong OOM killer trigger?

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 08:57:13 EST

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:22:42PM +0100, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Sooner or later, I expect the more reasonable people out there to explain
> > to you that your actions are hurting them and maybe they'll help you
> > decide which is more important, getting at the data you want, in a timely
> > manner, without a license, or doing negative advertising against us.
> > If the other folks don't care enough to do that then that's fine, the
> > gateways are not important and you can whine all you want but you'll be
> > back to waiting for tarball releases and we can save some money.
>
> Thank you for demonstrating exactly _why_ closed source software is bad.
> Your posts clearly show that with a closed-source solution, you put
> yourself at the mercy of a single vendor, and have to put up with whatever
> demands and threats he feels like making.

Nonsense. This isn't closed source issue at all because the issue is the
CVS gateway. You don't need source to write that gateway and you could
have (and recall that Linus said you should have) written the gateway
yourself, hosted it yourself, and maintained it yourself.

There are no closed source issues here, you're just trying to redirect
attention there because it meets your agenda. Nice try but no dice.

Since we are providing something that you want, you asked for, and you
could have built yourself, you get it under our terms. Which are "shut
the heck up already, you got what you wanted."
--
---