Re: 2.7 block ramblings (was Re: DMA for ide-scsi?)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 13:30:15 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

And we should deprecate them with a solution that aligns what with Linus
described in Dec 2001 on lkml: a chrdev where userland write(2)s cdbs
and taskfiles, and read(2)s the results. This is where my thinking
picked up: if we are creating a chrdev to send "packets" and receive

== bsg, block sg. Did you read what I wrote? :). I started implementing
this and have something that barely works. You just bind a block device
to a /dev/sg* char device and use read/write on that. Aka sg.

sg needs some modifications -- for example it errors out instead of sleeps on queue full -- but sounds good to me.

I don't want ioctls command submission interfaces more than you do.

Groovy.

Jeff