Re: Fix for wrong OOM killer trigger?

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 09:54:12 EST

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 04:22:52PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 04:40:29AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > Careful with your accusations Larry, some of us can answer those questions,
> > in ways that won't support your argument.
>
> It didn't worth an answer IMHO, he's ignoring lots of efforts going on,

First of all, I didn't accuse anyone of anything, I asked if you were
using open source for in everything that you use each day. And you
are ignoring the question. You stated

>> I refuse to use closed software myself for my critical tasks true,

and I asked

> So where's the source to the BIOS of your machine? Your drive
> firmware? Do you drive a car? Turn on a microwave? Use a cell phone?

And you tell me you "will" be running free software on all that soon.
Until you are, how about you go attack the drive people, the bios people,
the car people, the cellphone people, etc? Why constantly harp on the one
thing that has done an enormous amount of good for the kernel?

I also asked about those binaries that give you such problems when you
recompile kernels, you seem perfectly OK using closed source to play
quake. Oh, that's not "critical" because it is for your fun, I see.

How convenient for you that some closed source is OK for you to use but
other closed source is not OK. I see you are a man of principle, of
strong ethics and principles. What a great role model.

If you feel so strongly about closed source then stop using EVERYTHING
that doesn't have open source in it. When you have done that, and only
then, you have earned the right to whine about BK or whatever. Until
then, it's pathetic. You are complaining about the stuff that it is
easy for you not to use, but you are silent about the stuff that you
want to use and there is no open source alternative.

Don't you find it a bit pathetic that you are whining at the very people
who did the work so you wouldn't have to use anything but open source?
Do you have no sense of shame at all?
--
---