Re: Broken synaptics mouse..

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 01:11:22 EST

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:58:48AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> But in this case not only will I have to specify the event device Synaptics
> is connected to but also explicitly specify _every other_ input device I use
> (besides the touchpad I have a track-stick as a separate device and an USB
> mouse in my docking station). I will also loose hot-plug capabilities I have
> now for free.

The problem is that nothing comes for free. The hotplug capability you
have now comes at the cost of utter nonconfigurability, that is - it
gets input from every pointing devices.

The bright-future solution is to have GPM and XFree configured at
runtime by the /sbin/hotplug agent to open/close devices as they come
and go.

This again comes at a cost - more complex setup - but one that is
completely configurable as to which device goes where, stable in regard
of plug-in order, etc.

> All in all it just doesn't fly... I wonder if we could declare evdev
> the master handler and do not propagate events to the secondary
> handlers if some process has appropriate event device opened.

We could. Don't do a 'cat /dev/input/event0' if event0 is your keyboard
then, though. ;)

We also could change the EVIOCGRAB semantics to only grab in respect to
the handler, not just the single handle ...

But I still hope we'll be able to get to the /sbin/hotplug solution
without having to create too many intermediate solutions.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR