Re: 2.6.0-test5-mm4

From: Alistair J Strachan
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 08:52:10 EST

On Monday 22 September 2003 15:36, Zilvinas Valinskas wrote:
[snip]

> > VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or hda2.
> > Please append correct "root=" boot option.
> > Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2.
>
> Do you use devfsd ?

No. As I said, I mount /dev with mount -t devfs devfs /dev in a sysinit
bootscript. Whether it's in the kernel or not shouldn't make any difference.
Maybe I just need to reissue LILO after booting the 32bit dev_t kernel?

> I had to specify root like this :
> root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 then it worked just fine.

I'll try that, thanks. But I have this in lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/discs/disc0/disc
root=/dev/discs/disc0/part2

/dev/discs is indeed a symlink, but it should be resolved when LILO is
installed, i.e., prior to the reboot. Why has this behaviour changed?

Cheers,
Alistair.