Re: Keyboard oddness.

From: Greg Louis
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 05:51:53 EST

On 20030922 (Mon) at 1923:28 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 17:06, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:06:08PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > > Any clues? (This happens to me at least once an hour...)
> >
> > Some people have been reporting missing key releases (maybe also you),
> > but these are all missing key presses. It is easiest to blame the
> > keyboard, even though I could imagine ways to blame the kernel.
> >
> > What about 2.4?
>
> 2.4 worked for me when I used it. I haven't booted 2.4 in weeks

I've been missing keypresses for at least six weeks; at first I too
thought the keyboard was the culprit, but I've anecdotal grumblings in
email from several 2.4 users who thought the same of their own machines.
Not very likely to be a keyboard-infesting virus out there...
Frequency seems to be of the order of 0.001 on average.

It might not be only keyboard interrupts that are being missed, but I
have no hard data -- just a gut feeling that occasional ethernet
packets are going astray too for no known good reason. Hasn't been
enough of a problem to trigger serious investigation.

--
| G r e g L o u i s | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
| http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis | (on my website or any keyserver) |