Re: How are the Promise drivers doing?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 20:28:19 EST

"Ruth Ivimey-Cook" <Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> These days it seems more motherboards that have additional IDE ports use
> Promise chips, with a few using HPT ones. I note the advent of the
> Promise GPL SATA drivers and Jeff's libata. I am also aware that my
> current setup ( Linux 2.4.22 and onboard 20276) does occasionally cause
> me grief, with lost interrupts making me wonder if all is well. I have 2
> Promise 20267 IDE cards available should that be useful.

One big problem with the Promise drivers is that they are not 64bit
clean. Trying them in a 64bit x86-64 kernel fails quickly.
Fixing them is unfortunately a lot of work because of the weird
Windows like programming style in the CAM layer in there.

Also at least some released versions of them had gapping security holes
in the ioctl handlers.

-Andi