Re: log-buf-len dynamic

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 21:49:07 EST

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 07:36:39PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 andrea@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > It's because I grow up that I can actually better understand the deals
> > it's in my own (again speaking only for myself and not for anybody else)
> > interest to avoid.
>
> You've claimed this now twice.
>
> However, that only explains why you don't use BitKeeper. And everybody
> accepts that. When I started to use BK, I made it _very_ clear that
> service for non-BK users will be _at_least_ as good as it ever was before
> I started using BK.
>
> And I think everybody agrees that is true. ChangeLogs, CVS exports, daily
> snapshots. And that's just the advantages to _others_.
>
> But your lack of interest in BK does _not_ explain why you whine about it,
> and try to goad Larry, and just generally are nasty about it.

I wasn't whining about BK at all, nor about the licence, I just
advertized the open links in my signature, the word "refuse" may be not
a nice one, I didn't feel to be rude when I wrote it, now I changed it
and I hope it's a more friendly wording, though the meaning it's the
same.

> approach: even if you disapprove of Larry's license, you should defend his
> _right_ to that license. Instead of whining about it.

I defend his right to the licence, it makes perfect business sense, if
he wanted to be safer he had to take a couple of patents too I guess
(but I'm not a lawyer and I certainly prefer the licence to the
patents). I don't think I ever complained to the licence. I only said
I'm not applying to the licence and _you_ have to respect my _right_ not
to use the software and to advertize the _open_ links, without seeing it
as an offensive thing.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk