Re: log-buf-len dynamic

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 22:48:27 EST

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:31:05PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > Yeah. I'm using the Linux VM. And it _still_ isn't up to what I managed
> > to accomplish in SunOS. Wake up, dude. You aren't the first one to
> > work in this area, you are just one of the first to work in this area
> > without learning from the people who came before you. Don't believe me?
> > Go to OLS and read the papers. Then read the OS research that has
> > happened in the last 20 years or so. So far you are still catching up.
>
> Bad example ;)
>
> While it is true that the Linux VM doesn't do a whole
> lot of the things a VM should do, there is also the
> fact that the VM problem space has gotten a lot harder
> over the last decade due to the fact that the size of
> disk and memory has grown way faster than the speed of
> disk and memory.

Oh, I agree. The problem space changes and you have to move with it.
I was just pointing out that by not learning from others you put yourself
at a disadvantage. There are a lot of bright minds in the Linux space,
there is no question of that. But they would do so much better if they
understood the past. The past holds a lot of information, ignoring it
is a disadvantage.
--
---