Re: [BUG] Hard lock up exiting X on linux-2.6.0-test5/test5-mm4

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 04:19:10 EST

Tarkan Erimer writes:
> I compile and run linux-2.6.0-test5-mm4. It works wonderful, but when I
> switch to X windows it's OK. But, when I tried to exit X, it completely
> freezes the box. I tried this with open source nvidia (nv) driver and
> proprietary nvidia (nvidia)driver. Results are always same. My hardware is:
> P-II 350, 384 RAM, BX board and Riva TNT gfx card. The same thing also
> happened with vanilla linux-2.6.0-test5. I attached my .config and
> version_linux outputs. Any idea ?

CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_APM=m
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y

You may suffer from a broken graphics card BIOS that hangs
if a local APIC timer interrupt arrives. I've seen this
happen on G400 and Radeons, and an old S3 I think.

Another issue, but not the one you're having, is that
configuring APM=m is known to hang some BIOSen at the
point when the APM module is unloaded, again due to
BIOS code not handling local APIC interrupts.

Fix: Disable CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK. You don't need it.
Also set APM=y if you're going to have it at all.

(An alternative fix is to disable UP_APIC, but
only do that as a last resort.)

I also noticed you had enabled a lot of ACPI stuff.
This is almost certainly pointless on a BX board.

/Mikael