Re: HT not working by default since 2.4.22

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 19:05:43 EST

marcelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Brown, Len wrote:

Okay, so what to do?

We could make 2.4.23 like 2.4.21 where ACPI code for HT is included in
the kernel even when CONFIG_ACPI is not set.

Or we could leave 2.4.23 like 2.4.22 where disabling CONFIG_ACPI really
does remove all ACPI code in the kernel; and when CONFIG_ACPI is set,
CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is available to limit ACPI to just the tables part
needed for HT.

CONFIG_ACPI_HT should be not dependant on CONFIG_ACPI. So

1) Please make it very clear on the configuration that for HT CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is needed
2) Move it outside CONFIG_ACPI.

OK?

Unfortunately CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY outside and independent of CONFIG_ACPI proved a bit confusing.

How about the more simple CONFIG_HYPERTHREAD or CONFIG_HT?

If enabled and CONFIG_SMP is set, then we will attempt to discover HT via ACPI tables, regardless of CONFIG_ACPI value.

Or... (I know multiple people will shoot me for saying this) we could resurrect acpitable.[ch], and build that when CONFIG_ACPI is disabled.

Jeff