Re: Kernel panic on 2.4.22 (no TSC) when compiled for i486

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 06:44:32 EST

Chris Sykes writes:
> I'm getting a kernel panic from my 2.4.22 kernel when compiled for
> i486 (see attached .config).
>
> "Kernel panic: Kernel compiled for Pentium+, requires TSC feature!"
>
> The CPU is a Cyrix Cx486DX2 100MHz part. I tried booting with notsc
> but I get the message:
> "notsc: Kernel compiled with CONFIG_X86_TSC, cannot disable TSC."
>
> The kernel will work fine when recompiled for i386.
>
> Does a real 486 have a TSC, or is this a config bug?
> CONFIG_M486=y
> CONFIG_X86_TSC=y

I've reproduced this problem. It's a bug in the configuration
system which triggers when you change an option which has
derived options.

In this case, when first configuring for a CPU with TSC the
derived CONFIG_X86_TSC option is added. Then when reconfiguring
for a TSC-less CPU (e.g., 486) the derived option stays because
it derived from something that _was_ defined at the start of the
config run.

The workaround is to do an additional 'make oldconfig', after
which the derived option will be gone.

/Mikael