Re: PROBLEM: ALSA requests module to early, before / is mounted

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 08:40:06 EST

At Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:16:52 +0200,
Nikola Knezevic wrote:

> Hi, I'm really annoyed to see 'No soundcards found.' in logs:)

you didn't build in emu10k1 driver. so, at that stage, there is
really no available card :)

> Not an expert, but according to logs, ALSA is modprobeing to early, so
> it doesn't load snd-emu10k.

yep, this should be avoided before root is mounted.

> There is no call for modprobe snd-emu10k1 in
> rc.modules, so after booting I have to call it manually. Yes, I could
> put that call in rc.modules, but isn't it supposed to be called by ALSA?

yes, but only if you set up /etc/modprobe.conf correctly to load the
modules automatically.
at least, you have to specify which card is the first one
(snd-card-0).

i recommend you either to build all ALSA stuffs as modules or to build
them into the kernel.

ciao,

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai dot suse.de> ALSA Developer - www.alsa-project.org