More on IDE controller choice

From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 09:16:30 EST

Folks,

Further to my request for info on the Promise controllers, I have just
discovered that the GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard would suit, if there were decent
Linux support for the ethernet controller (RealTek 8169 GBit -- I think this
is ok, yes?) and the IDE controller - a GigaRAID device, aka ITE 8212. There
seems to be conflicting reports about this. There is a binary Linux driver
available from GigaByte, but no source. Some have reported that source is
available from ITE, but I can't find where. Some reports say the driver is in
the kernel dist, but I can only see the driver for a different ITE chip and no
indication it does more than one.

Can anyone help?

I am getting v.close to go for the devil I know -- the Promise chips -- rather
than the possible angel I don't. I don't wish to pay enough for the 3ware
controller, even if I could find a UK supplier (I havent, yet), and even some
reports of the Adaptec 1200A are rather downbeat. I would probably end up with
the HighPoint controller in the RocketRAID 404 if pushed too far by failing
Promise's.

Regards,

Ruth

--