Re: how to set multicast MAC ligitemately?

From: Pekka Savola
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 08:41:23 EST

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Alexey V. Yurchenko wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:03:45 -0700
> Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Not interface should have a multicast MAC address. A multicast address
> > should only exist as a destination address, never a source.
>
> Well, that's in theory. In practice I need several computers connected
> to a switch to share a single interface and look to the rest of LAN as a
> single node. All those computers must receive all packets desitned to
> that interface. Using non-multicast MAC confuses many switches.

This likely breaks with IGMP snooping switches, btw.

> Any suggestions? (Except not using a switch ;))
>
> PS isn't this approach (forbidding certain addresses) a tad
> Microsoftish? Like saving users from themselves?

The rules are there to prevent users from shooting themselves in the foot,
or the users thinking using multicast MAC address as source is a right way
to solve a problem.

But Linux is Free Software and Open Source. You can change these things
if you really want.

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."