Re: Broadcom BCM5901 NIC

From: David Härdeman
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 19:10:35 EST

Hi,

I tried unplugging/plugging the cable a few times along with ifup and ifdown a few times in different variations. It didnt seem to do much, one interesting thing that I noticed was that the Windows XP host that this laptop was connected to with a crossover cable during the testing reported the link as being down when the NIC was ifup'ed and vice versa.

After being bored with ifup/down and cable pulling I tried some modprobe/rmmod as well. This proptly hosed the system, the "ifconfig eth0 down" command is frozen, unkillable and consumes 100% CPU right now. ifconfig on another console to check if the card "is still there" also froze. Well, at least the network led woke up, its on constantly right now :-)

Ideas?

//David

PS
With the tg3 driver the card is reported as a 33Mhz PCI card, with the bcm5700 it's reported as a 66Mhz PCI card, could this make a difference?