Re: Scaling noise

From: Steven Cole
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 22:19:12 EST

On Saturday 27 September 2003 07:51 pm, Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Dave and friends can protest as much as they want that the kernel works
> > and it scales (it does work, it doesn't scale by comparison to something
> > like IRIX)
>
> Aside: Might want to tell SGI as their new ccNUMA Altrix line (Origin
> 3k with Itanic instead of MIPS i think) run Linux!

Since Larry is off doing other things for the next week and a half, I'll attemt to
to answer that for him. Larry was possibly referring to IRIX scaling to 1024 CPUs,
e.g. the "Chapman" machine, mentioned here:
http://www.sgi.com/company_info/awards/03_computerworld.html

It appears that SGI is working to scale the Altix to 128 CPUs on Linux.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106323064611280&w=2

Steven