Re: [OT] No Swap. Re: [BUG 2.6.90-test5] kernel shits itself with48mb ram under moderate load

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 12:20:51 EST

Mikulas Patocka wrote:
Oh, it does matter. My workstation has 1 GB RAM and 2 GB swap and I hardly
see any problems with paging <g>.

Because your workload doesn't hit the 1GB limit.
Actually we just do not have fast enough I/O + CPU to utilize 1GB of
RAM efficiently.

But if you will go into 128MB of RAM - you will see difference, where
should be no difference.

Let's say (my personal exp.) cp'ing of kernel source with 0.5/0.25 GB
RAM dosn't differ. Aproximately the same time. 0.25GB little bit faster
- but it can be written off to noise. But try to do the same cp with
0.125GB - this cp (as of RH 2.4.20-20.9 +ext3 -swap) takes _*two*_ times
longer. Should it be?

Yes, it should. If you have 0.25GB, it can be copied into cache. If you
have 0.125GB, it doesn't fit there.

So you want to say to effectively copy (or whatever) 40GB harddrive I have to have 40GB of RAM? Ridiculous.
Especially if copying is done in 4k lumps. (cp's default buffer)

<sarcasm flavour=sad> Hopefully not everyone shares your opinion. </sarcasm>

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.