Re: RFC: [2.6 patch] disallow modular IPv6

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 19:15:49 EST

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:39:10PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> Its not just this, look at all the CONFIG_IPV6 related #ifdefs in the core
> tcp/ip v4 code, the point is that this is a (currently) needed limitation to be
> able to ship a kernel that can be used by both ipv6 users and people that
> doesn't (yet) need ipv6.
>
> Simply removing the ifdefs in the headers will not help, leaving it in the
> kernel will bloat general purpose kernels, so can we live with this limitation
> till we sort out the IPV6/IPV4 entanglement in a good way? I.e. lets leave ipv6
> as a special case, perhaps just adding a big fat warning in relevant Kconfigs.

What about the following solution (the names and help texts for the
config options might not be optimal, I hope you understand the
intention):

config IPV6_SUPPORT
bool "IPv6 support"

config IPV6_ENABLE
tristate "enable IPv6"
depends on IPV6_SUPPORT

IPV6_SUPPORT changes structs etc. and IPV6_ENABLE is responsible for
ipv6.o .

> - Arnaldo

cu
Adrian