Re: [OT] No Swap. Re: [BUG 2.6.90-test5] kernel shits itself with48mb ram under moderate load

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 00:04:48 EST

Roger Luethi wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:13:47 -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

As I see there is not that much edge case testing going around.

It's known what has to be done for it. AFAICT upstream doesn't like
the answers and just says "throw hardware at it". I've written it off
as a lost cause, though I was at one time interested.

Well, _I_ don't know that. What are the answers? And while we're at it,
what's the problem, exactly?

This particular problem was fixed nicely by getting the kernel to enable
swap, so I don't think its that bad of a problem.

Anyway, I think answers involve sizing data structures more effectively
on small memory boxes, more VM smarts in overload situations, and
probably most important for desktop use: light weight and unbloated
user level environment.